Saturday, March 13, 2004

has it been over a week?!?

wow. i had no idea. i come here to the library to do my on-line stuff. mostly replying to emails and friendster messages and reading my sister and your blogs, so as a result, with the time limit being restricted to a measley hour, my stories are kept in my head; lost to the day.

i can't believe it's saturday. i can't believe this week has flown by so fast and your in the dark about it all. are you in the tad bit curious?

........................

here is the usual run down:

7am wake up
7:05 wake kids up
7:07 make a pot of coffee(unless working at Starbucks later in the morning)
7:10 make kids breakfast
7:15 check to see if their getting ready
7:17 ask them what the want for lunch
7:20 make lunches
7:30 make sure their not feeding the dog their waffles and grapes
7:40 ask them if they put their lunch and homework in their back-pack
7:42 put on tenny-shoes and glasses
7:45 put Lightening outside
7:47 pour cup of java to-go
7:50 be out the door

7:50-8:15/8:20am (depending on traffic) drive kids to school

8:20 make bed
8:25 get dressed or shower(depending on how many days it's been since the last time I got squeaky fresh and so clean,clean or off course, what i did the night before)
9am en route to Starbucks or Deep Sushi
2pm killing time before my next shift(which typically involves lunch with a friend or browsing at target. which typically results in a basket full of greeting cards, candels, a black clothing article for work, and some lotion or chapstick of the sort)
5:30-10:30pm work
10:30 drive back to HEB
*if not working a double*
3pm pick kids up from school
3:15 help them with their homework
make snack
change out of work clothes
play with dog
4:30 Shan gets home
4:29 leave house and go anywhere else that is peaceful and quiet. alcohol preferred.



however this week had a few curve balls i wasn't expectating: my third or second cousin came into town and i was his tour guide, i worked on days i thought i had off, i decorated a garden mirage with chalk on the patio of my starbucks , i thought my world was almost dumped upside down, and then i was bitch slapped with the consequences of not being asian.

phil, my 2 or 3 or 4th cousin, is a recently graduated law student from vanderbilt and is about to attend the air forces jag program. this, as one might expect, means phil is kinda a big dork. the first and most important priority on his itentary was to see the dealy plaza and visit the sixth floor muesum in downtown dallas. and suprisingly i think i enjoyed it more than my tool cuz and after the days events it appeared to be that i am the bigger nerd out of the both of us. for me-time stood still while the pan handeling conspiracy theorist preached her 20 minuete lecture, and it was i, who tipped and had my hand spatted away from buying the "non-sense propaganda". it was also i, who wanted to stay as long as it took to read each and every refernece and tid bit of information plaque in the muesum. and yes it was i who couldn't stop myself from ranting and raving about the lotr triology when he admitted to just seeing it for the first time a few weeks ago!!! he even had the audacity to inquire if i dressed up like an elf or a hobbit for the premier. and yet inside my head i replied, "shah...i wish". it's not like i'm a nerd, neccesarily, it's just i find history immensly fascinating and with my pathetic private school education, i unfortunately attained a brief and vague recourse on US history, amongst a vast amount of other things; which meant the augementation of jfk's legacy and tragic death had me entranced and emoutionally vibrant in a feeling of great loss and mystic. then their are movies such as: lotr, the matrix, and star wars that sparkle and dance within my imagination, unlike other tales and stories evolved from sci-fi and fantasy can, and this my dear friends evokes an unpresidented enthusiasm and loyalty not to be confused or seen as tell-tell signs of dorkiness but jolly interest.

i love led zepplin. i watch seinfeld. animals and children love me, chics want to be me and boys adore me.

;)

but that was just one day out of the past seven i've missed posting about, the others, as i've mentioned, also had curve balls of thier own. the waking up and thinking that the whole day is mine. mine to go catch a matinee. mine to neglect getting out of my pjs all day long if i so desired. mine to go running. mine to got to a yoga class. mine to catch up on all the books i'm in the middle of. mine, mine, mine. wishful thinking because not one day this week did i have not to work at least at one of my two jobs but sunday is tomorrow and tomorrow, i'm going to brunch and indulging myself in champagne and orange juice with hopefully the m.i.a gordon lightfoot, and then later, accompaning a friend who has been under-house-arrest with a lingering head cold to go see a movie with me because, tomorrow i have off and jon is still one of my favorite friends to play with.

last night while at work someone stole $60 of mine from the waitstaff station. had it been at the Mer Room or the Allgood, i'm almost postitive, well for starters i can't imagine anyone i've worked with at both of those places to be sooo evil as to steal, but that either of my bosses would have comped the ticket to compensate for my loss but this place isn't like most places i've worked at, and so, i waited on other tables to pay for some strangers meal. had i been one minuet late i also would have had to pay my boss five dollars and had i chipped a glass that would have been another dollar and had i accidentally rang up the wrong sashimi or rolls, well, i would have to pay for those as well.

lesson learned: you can't trust people and just because your white doesn't mean racism won't find you.

i hate this lesson. i like to believe in the goodness of mankind not our inherit sinful nature that grown adults have yet to suffocate with moral goodness or accpetable societal conduct. and as for racism, well, it's just a shame man has yet to conquer the act of treating one other as equals; that color and ethnicity must dictate how many tables you are given and when the sushi chef will get your orders made.

i'll be quitting this job as soon as i have another lined up. the bullshit is just too much for this gal.

starbucks on the other hand is good stuff. i go in, i make mochas and lattes, i smile and laugh, i wipe off table tops, i re-stock straws and carffes of half n' half and skim milk and whole milk, i open a till, i close my till, i say goodbye and i leave. no bullshit. no your chinese and i'm not. no "me-me-me" attitude. just a job that is tolerable and a paycheck at the end of every two weeks to look forward to. plus health, dental, and eye insurance. but unfortunately it's just a chumpass job that pays jack shit while waitressing, still a chumpass job too, is where i can walk out at the end of even a shitty night and regardless have my pockets made heavy. so until the stepping stones lead me to the door steps of some cool magazine or music festival i need both chumpass jobs no matter what.

time has expired.

but i'll be back.

No comments: